Irvine is having so much rain right now I’m starting to think we should re-name Irvine “Little Seattle.” Here in Southern California, we’re not used to entertaining ourselves on days when it’s too stormy to even drive to the mall. After an hour of “Storm Watch Breaking News,” on TV, it gets boring. What can you do?
The ALI thrift store can give you lots of ideas for rainy-day activities. You’ll have to make a trip to the shop BEFORE it rains, but you were planning to do that anyway, right?
- We always have miscellaneous craft supplies, and with some scissors and glue the kids can put their creativity to work. (You’ll have to clear off the dining room table, but you can put all that stuff back once it stops raining.)
- Pick out some of our more unusual or vintage-look clothing and keep it in a “dressing up” box. The kids can make up a play where this box provides costumes and props.
- Board games and jigsaw puzzles are rainy-day staples. We’re constantly getting new donations of games and puzzles, and these are fun activities for the whole family.
- For the grown-ups:
- This is the time to try out that espresso machine/panini maker/blender/set of cookie cutters in the shape of flowers that you found at the thrift shop on your last visit.
- This is the time to start that knitting project/sewing project/scrapbook that you found supplies for at the thrift shop on your last visit.
- If you just feel like curling up by the fire, we have books, books, books! (Lots of kids’ books, too!) And DVDs!
Don’t worry – it will stop raining eventually. But in the meantime, the thrift shop has plenty of things to keep you and your family busy!